This may be "old news" to many of you Australians.

Currently I am planning to make a film of The Rocks (just an amateur film, for my own interest) and instead of focussing on grand surviving buildings and important men of the past, I want to tell the story of ordinary people and their everyday lives.

As the result of this I have been doing a lot of reading about the early history and discovered that amongst the artefacts that were found on the Big Dig in 1984 of Cumberland Street, was a lace bobbin and "lace pins, that had their heads half way down the shaft" (!)

I have written to the archaeologist to see where I might view these artefacts (and asked about other sewing tools also). No reply as yet, but I will keep you posted.

BTW, "The Rocks" is the earliest settlement of our convict past.

Brian and Jean from Cooranbong Australia