Annette wrote:
Then I realised that there's been a mid-winter festival here long
before  the Christians co-opted it for Christmas, so I have a perfect right
to  celebrate that :)

One year we decided to celebrate Roman Saturnalia instead of Christmas. I
did a lot of research on this but in the end, it was surprising how similar the

Saturnalia was to Christmas. For instance, the giving of fruitcake is from
Saturnalia and the wearing of peaked hats like Santa hats and the giving of
presents. When my sister-in-law and her family arrived for just the dessert she

inquired about why we were all wearing Santa hats and we had to tell her we
were  celebrating Saturnalia. I think appeared to be a non-sequitor to her.

Devon