have just started to read another book and I have found some
illustrations of the bobbins.  They are not really good enough for me to
speculate further than to say that one is a South Bucks with the neck and
head missing(?) but the design is just the tiniest bit suspect.  At first
I was going to say it was not a bobbin at at all, then I tried to imagine
a head and neck on it and that made me feel a bit better.

The other two are slim Bedfordshire bobbins.  One with circular inscribed
rings halfway down the shaft (which is not typical of any particular known
maker) also I suspect that the tail is missing as well as the neck and
head.

The second is a slim gracefull inwards curved shaft, which could be any
maker, again with the neck and head missing. I have hopes to possibly
identify this ones maker.

It is all very well trying to identify by pictures, sometimes you can do
it reasonably easily, but without head,neck and tails, most ot the maker
specific detail is not there.  I really hope I get to see them some time
in the future.

There are also illustrated some thimbles,which look quite nice; one of
them in particular.  The pins, very rusted, so presumably not brass.  I
would think that in the early 1800s they would all have been using brass
pins??? Certainly the head in the middle of the pin points to the
removeable head being pushed down the shaft.

I am not at hoome to look at my reference books. (house sitting at our
sons place) Can someone remind me re dates of brass pins and general use
in lace making, please?  Thanks

Most interesting diversion to ponder on a "cold" windy day 18C!!  It was
32 C yesterday when we arrived and i was planning to start swimming every
day!!  Not today thank you.

I like to swim when the water temperature is say 23C  :)  [Just making you
cold climate folks envious]

Bye for now

Brian in Copacabana.. Australia (yes, thats true)