According to Florence Mays works on Hispanic Lacemaking there has been
lacemaking in Mexico. There are several entries in the index, but I don't have
time to go through them at the moment. I looked this up once in reference to a
piece of metallic lace which we have in the collection at the Metropolitan
Museum which our card says was may have been made in Mexico. (I suspect if  you
want to see Mexican lace, you are probably better off booking a ticket to  New
York and having a viewing of the Met's holdings than running around Mexico,
but I am assuming seeing lace is not the primary reason for the trip.)
The continuing mystery of the metallic lace dating from the 16th or the  17th
century has only been deepened by the current exhibition of The Colonial
Andes: Tapestry and Silverwork, 1520-1850. In this exhibit we learn that the
natives under Spanish Colonial rule made exquisite and very fine (in terms of
thread guage as well as workmanship) tapestries and that there was a tremendous

amount of metal being mined and processed in this part of the world. Also,
there  are many oil paintings depicting members of the native aristrocracy and
religious ceremonies and religious figures. They are wearing a lot of lace in
these paintings. Is it all from the Old World.....
Why don't you try dipping into some antique shops and seeing what you can
find?
(Then report back to me :-))

Devon