Mary
1. I've not heard of a device such as you describe.  If your pattern does
not give you a thread size the only way is to experiment.  If you have some
fragments of thread from an old project use the ends to work just a small
portion of your new design to see how it looks.  Don't worry about winding
in pairs.  If you have enlarged or reduced a pattern which had suggestions
of thread sizes for the original pattern, use algebra to work out the thread
size.  (Ask me for details if this is your situation.)
2. In tape lace one normally pushes the pins all the way down.  This is true
of any part/free lace.  The reason being that you are often working over
parts already completed, and you don't want the working threads to catch on
earlier pins.
3. No secret technique.  A needle and thread comes to mind.
Lorelei