Dear Jeri

>What I wanted to write about is the CD of the quilts.  This type of product is
>not as permanent as a book.  I hope there will be books about the collection?

I think at the moment it is one step at a time.  The most important thing at
the moment is to get each item in the collection catalogued and on to a
database with its photograph and each item put into archive film to protect it.
 Once that is achieved people will then be able to see the work and examine it
without causing too much harm to the pieces.  Once that is achieved other
avenues can be explored, but it all comes down to money; when you have the cash
anything is possible.

I think a CD was the easiest way to get pictures of the collection out to
people who wished to view them.

>I do not want CD's to "take over" as source materials or as a topic of
>discussion (again) on Arachne.  Rest assured, I'll not be reading memos about
>CD's.  It's a waste of effort to convince me.

I'm sure I would much rather curl up in a chair and look through my books than
sit glued to my computer screen all evening.  Each has its place, but I cannot
imagine being without my books.

>Dianne, is the 42-page booklet about Rachel Kay-Shuttleworth by Canon G. A.
>Williams still available?  I think there are people on Arachne who would love
>to read about this remarkable woman who was so involved in the beginning years
>of the Girl Guide movement and The Embroiderers' Guild.  The last photo in the
>booklet is of Rachel K-S "With students at Gawthorpe".  She is shown at a lace
>pillow, with three young women.

>If the booklet is available, perhaps you could gather purchasing info and put
>it on Arachne?

The booklet is still available.  I probably will not be able to find out all
the information for you before the middle of January but I will let you know
all the details as soon as I can.

Rachel was a remarkable woman.  I have a copy of the book by Canon G A Williams
and I read it from time to time.  She taught lace and had lots of small samples
sewn onto fabric to illustrate lots of different types of lace.  We are
unpicking them off the fabric for cataloguing.  Some have got rather grubby.
Rachel often wrote comments about pieces of lace - not all complimentary!  But
some are very factual and interesting.  All her little cards are being
photographed so that they will be on the database with the picture of the item
concerned.

Regards

Dianne Derbyshire

Preston