In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Carol Adkinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
> I wound
>the bobbins and, as I thought that a pale pink gimp would look well with the
>ecru lace, I wound several pairs of said pink gimp.

I had similar with my first attempt at designing a piece for a pendant
in Bucks - in Jennifer Ford's class. Using "white" silk (silk white is
more of a cream) for the main threads, decided to use pink to outline
the "flowers" and green for the stems - both pastel shades. Jennifer's
comment (and I can't remember exactly what she said now) about using
coloured gimps put me off wearing said pendant for a long time.. until,
my first ever demonstration outing (for the first National Lacemaking
Day, in 1991), when I had it pinned up amongst other pieces I had made -
and quite a few favourable comments were made, as to how pretty it
looked, etc. After that, I gained the confidence to wear it.

The pink and green threads have now both faded back to almost white,
though - (has anyone else had this problem with Mulberry Silks?) - so
maybe yet another reason why we think that "traditional" lace was all
white, black or ecru?

--
Jane Partridge