In a message dated 12/17/2004 10:41:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

By the  way, lots of people know how to make needle lace. Granted, our
numbers are  puny compared to the number of bobbin-lace makers. Still,
we are  here!

Of course the question stunned me because Gunnel is an expert needlelacer
and I myself am a practitioner of the art. It is true that the needlelacers are

fewer than the bobbin lacers in the IOLI. However, I think that the EGA may
be  the group that they belong to since embroidery and needlelace seem more
closely  related than needlelace and bobbinlace. I notice that when I go to the
EGA  everyone recognizes the names Gunnel and Aurelia.

I was trying to figure out how someone who doesn't know how to make
needlelace or bobbin lace would mend lace, but I suppose you can patch in
pieces  of
net or crepelene. It is not the way we woud do it, ie. adding needlelace
leaves to put things right.

Probably the only things that people would pay large amounts to mend would
be things with special family significance, or possibly items of great monetary
 value. However in lace that later category almost doesn't exist. The person
with  the old tatting might be better off buying  more old tatting that
doesn't  require repair, or even buying new tatting. Making something new is
somehow
more  fun and there might be people who would be interested in doing that as
a "paying  hobby".

Devon