Dear Jeri

>How did we miss this?  I guess because we know the Springett's and got all
>wrapped up in the other auction.  That *might* mean there would be some good
>buys at Bonhams!

>If anyone goes to Knowle to this auction, please report back to Arachne on the
>proceedings.  Thanks in advance.

I went to Knowle this week to Bonhams Auction.  DH and I went down on Monday so
I could look at the lace that was being actioned on Tuesday morning.  The lace
was the first lots of the day.  There were about 45 lots of lace, christening
robes, about 5 or 6 lots of fans followed by bobbins, pillows, stands and a
couple of glass lacemakers lamps then costumes and accessories.  I had looked
at all the lots of lace on the web site before I went and had read the
information.

I am not a lace collector and only went to look at the workboxes because I
fancied an old workbox with all the tools. I must have been spoiled, I was not
really impressed with the lace for sale.  There were one or two pieces that
were ok, but none that set my heart fluttering.  Most went for within the
estimated price.  There was a flounce of Brussels Duchess Lace (6m long x 22cm
wide) that was in good condition (estimate £60 - £100) fetched £353.  A large
Burano tablecloth (197cm x 114cm), the lace was in reasonable condition but
where it had been joined, it was coming undone. Estimate £200 to £400 fetched
£270.  A colourful length of Bebila (Oya) scarf edging (350cm x 4,5cm) estimate
£80 to £120 fetched £458.  The final lot of lace a mixed Brussels application
square shawl, with damage to the net, (188cm x 198cm) and a matching shaped 5
metres overskirt estimate £150 to £200 fetched £1528.

I left after the fans and we went to look around Warwick.  But I did find out
the prices of other lace items.  There was one bone hanging bobbin inscribed -
'W Bull 1871, hung April'  fetched £147 for those who are interested in bobbins.

I did get a workbox but could not bring myself to pay the price for my
favourite box.

The weather was very cold in the West Midlands.