A few months ago our Guild demonstrated lace at a large tourist shopping
centre in Cape Town.  A young Hawaiian girl working as an au pair for an
American couple visited the demonstration and said she was getting married
in March 2005 and would love a lace garter for her wedding.  One of the
lacemakers - not me I am not quite that daft - offered to make her a garter
and the two of them exchanged addresses etc.  Elsabe then proceeded to make
this beautiful Bucks garter but also started thinking along the lines of
getting some monetary return for the Guild.  So I bravely offered to do the
negotiating.  I wrote a long letter to this girl explaining the effort that
went into making the lace etc etc and that Elsabe has now donated the garter
to the Guild and the cost would be 50 USD.  I got a very panicky e-mail back
to ask if she must now pay the 50USD and the Guild gets to keep the
garter!!!  Talking about crossed wires.  I then wrote back to make myself
more clear and then started to panic that she might throw the garter away at
the wedding  and fortunately she understood that explanation!  The garter
has gone off and we are waiting with bated breath to see if the money
appears!
Jeanette Fischer, Western Cape, South Africa.