In a message dated 12/31/2004 7:50:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

On the  other hand, newsletters are often the reason people pay dues to
belong,  and can be the only contact many members have with a Guild.  If the
Guilds
do not have adequate paid memberships - they will become beset with
difficulties staying afloat.

In a group I belong to, the dues are set at pretty much exactly the amount
that it costs to produce and mail the newsletter. Workshops are supposed to pay
 for themselves. Fund raisers go to enhance the treasury from which
incidental  expenses are paid, ie. memorial tributes. If one produced the
newsletter
electronically, there would be no need to have dues at all. (However many
members don't have the internet, so this would be impossible).

In fact, the dues in my group, a modest $10 and the formal "joining" of the
group seemed to present an insurmountable barrier to many people who would say
 to me, "I don't want to join your group, I just want to know what they are
doing in case there is anything I want to do." Then they would ask me to let
them know if there was going to be a class or lace day that they might be
interested in. So, I would try to remember to do this, and it amounted to me
producing sort of a parallel newsletter, which was costly and time consuming.
After a while, I just told people that paying the dues amounted to nothing more

than an agreement to receive notification of what the group was doing.
(However, many people don't believe it and think it will result in some
obligation
to bake cakes and belong to committees.)

In the far future, if newsletters are ever entirely electronic, there may  be
even more participation in the group's activities, such as lace days, that
actually lead to revenue, as people can receive painless and anonymous notice
of  them.

In addition you could eliminate the problems that we often encountered, ie.
the inclusion of a color page, or the inclusion of a 5th page resulting in a
rise in postage which resulted in a rise in dues, making even more people
decide  not to rejoin the group.

Although I have not studied the IOLI budget, I believe that the lion's  share
of it goes to Debra Jenny for the IOLI Bulletin. I have often begged and
implored her to put in more pages, but the increments have to be done in 8 page

lots. An additional 8 pages boosts you into the next postal category and this
results in financial ruination. An increase in the member dues to pay the
increment for a longer Bulletin is considered to be a straw that will break the

back of many good members and result in fewer members and *higher per
magazine  cost* thus driving the Bulletin closer to financial ruin. Just think,
we
could  leave all that behind! (However, then we would be asking museums and
contributors for electronic rights, so we could plunge into that  maelstrom.)

I think the major thing that would be lost if it all went electronic would
be that you wouldn't have a physical reminder on your hall table of the
meeting.  This might result in less attendance.

All this is beside the point, though because Tess and the Prof are thinking
of past newsletters, I am sure.

Devon