A chair bodger was someone (at least around the 17th C) who went from
village to village making chairs and other furniture from local wood
recently cut down.  Unfortunately because the wood hadn't been allowed to
season, when the wood dried out the chair legs used to fall out of their
sockets.  Hence the term a bodged job.  Or a makeshift job is termed a bodge
up.

See, I did remember something from my visit to the recreated 17th century
village which is just a few miles from my home.   It 'is' slightly lace
related as they have lace demonstrators there on their open days, and a page
on their website dedicated to lace making.

http://www.portsdown.demon.co.uk/village.htm

Jane Bawn
Portchester UK