In continuing the Living Billboard Campaign for Modern Lace, yesterday I
wore the Lambiris piece, Indian Dog, pinned to my red jacket while I had my
volunteer day at the Met. Interestingly, although I had worn it on the street
and
around town receiving no comments from strangers among the general public,
Indian Dog seemed to attract a lot of attention at the museum. First our
administrative assistant, who had seen it in the web album and had not seemed
like it the best of Susan's offerings complimented it and thought it was much
more beautiful in person against red than on the web-site.
Later in the day a young woman, a decorative arts scholar, who has written  a
very nice article about Compeche chairs which the museum has published was
talking to me and became quite interested in it, asking me about it. I
explained  about Susan's work and that it took 50-60 hours to make a piece. The
young
woman  DID NOT BAT AN EYE and instead observed, "so it is a real luxury item
such as we  might buy in the museum store". This, I thought was a very positive
 response.
Later the piece was noticed and positively commented on by a woman whose
specialty is French engravings and who is researching the design source of a
piece of lace in the collection. She is now a volunteer, but she had formerly
been head of programs at Boscobel, a restored home on the Hudson which has some

fine textiles in it. With her was a man who is also retired and who emits a
general air of wealth and power. He is now a volunteer tour guide who has
undergone a very rigorous two year training and qualification process in  the
Decorative Arts and had just had his "peer review" which was very  challenging.
He also admired Indian Dog.
So, I am developing a theory that Lenka's work is work that seems to  call
out to the general public. But Susan's work seems to work well in  one-on-one
situations where the subject is close enough to see the incredible  detail and
has an eye for such things.
Devon