Dear Lacemakers,

The copies of correspondence I'm responding to appear at the end of this
memo.

I'd like to support Tamara's suggestions.  We've discussed this subject of
starching lace a number of times on Arachne.  The old starches were made of
flour and water, and could be quite effective.  They can be washed out, though
flour residue will remain for many washings.   We wrote about the starched
bonnets in Sweden sometime in 2000, after the OIDFA Convention.  And, I added
that
the Japanese use rice flour to secure the loose silk and gold threads on the
backs of embroidered items, avoiding putting on so much that it bleeds through
to the top (right-side) level.

What Newbies need to know is to *never give advice to use hair sprays or nail
polish on laces*, because *this information may be chosen as easy and be
remembered and used on antique or valuable laces* long after you've told
someone
what you used on a craft lace.  If you want to put hair spray or nail polish on
craft laces, that would be a personal choice, but we should never (especially
when casually discussing, demonstrating or teaching) let the advice slip by
without a precautionary reminder.  Hair sprays and nail polishes and a number
of other items contain chemicals that can be very damaging to lace.  Please
remember that you wash the sprays out of your hair in a few days, and remove
the
polish from nails with very harsh chemicals.

A comment on using metallics with fibers such as cotton, linen and silk:
They do not travel well together.  In the embroidery community, a good teacher
will caution people that the mass-produced instructions that say to put both in
your needle and work them together are just responding to a perceived need to
work quickly.  An experienced stitcher will thread two needles, and stitch
over the same area twice.  Once with cotton, linen or silk.  And then with
metallics.  This prevents the two threads from twisting, and will present a
much
smoother result.  Also, you need to know that temperature and humidity changes
affect different fibers differently.  If you've ever owned old Chinese
embroidery, you may have experienced items where the gold outlining threads are
hanging
loose.  This is because the silk couching stitches have responded to
temperature and humidity changes, and the expansion and contraction of silk
fibers
have caused them to be "cut" by the gold threads.

It all depends on your priorities, but be very aware of why the presentable
life of an item may be shortened when you attempt to use materials in new ways.

Every technique, when tried in a new way, needs to be "thought out to the
conclusion (result)".  Sometimes a working material is not suitable.

A reminder:  Heat and steam from ironing can cause synthetic metallics to
melt.  Always test these threads first - take some directly from the unworked
skein and try under the pressing iron.

Previous correspondence from Susie and Tamara:

"Actually I think the problem might come  from differences of tension in
threads: linen and cotton threads are elastic, metallic threads are not,
so when you remove the pins  elasticity takes over .  one way of preventing
this could be to starch the piece of lace prior to removing the pins (using
stiff/heavy (?)  starching ) and iron it immediately after removing the
pins ."

Question:
How would you starch the piece without getting the pillow wet?

Thanks,
Susie Johnson