-----Original Message-----
Dear Alice,

The answer might be to only put teasers from the newletter on the web.  Just
put a selection of item from the newsletter, specifically excluding the
calendar.  Since the website is for public consumption, it is wise not to put
dates and names and contact info for events.  Another possibility is to simply
announce events, but just the date and add that more information is available
by calling or emailing an officer of the guild.  Of course the officer of the
guild would immediately inquire if they are member and that if they are
interested in the event, would they like to join the guild?  That would
discourage freeloaders.  You can't change people, but you can place obstacles
in their way that encourages them to behave in a more suitable manner.

Patty Dowden

Recently, we had a discussion about putting newsletters on the computer in
regards to copyrights.  It made me think about a situation that happened to
our group.

We, not long ago, set up a webpage.  Our newsletter editor is also the web
mistress.  She puts the newsletter on the web page as well as mailing it
out. (The pictures on the web are in color while the newsletter is black
and white.)

During the latest membership renewal campaign, we had a (now previous)
member say that she only joined to get the newsletter in order to find out
when we had a lace day or special event.  She never came to
meetings.  Since the newsletter was now on the web, she had no reason to
join.  Yet....she still expects to take advantage of our activities.  There
may have been more like this who didn't own up to it.

I wondered if anyone else had met up with this situation, and...if
so....what you did about it, if anything.  Do you put your newsletters on
your web page?

Lace note -- a clean out of my lace area was forced when my cat tried to
jump on the lace bookcase and brought down pillows plus cat on top of my
lamp, which broke,---and it all landed on top of me, my work table, and the
pillow stand.  Lamp parts, pillows, and all sorts of stuff was all
over.  The result of the clean up was finding several 'missing' spools of
thread, organization of all thread and bobbin storage, a neater bookcase,
and the lamp was repaired for $0.32 plus a new bulb.  My corner hasn't
looked this neat in years. <G>  Several patterns came to the top that are
intriquing and I had to start one.  Haven't done Beds for years, but I'm
into it again -- making a lappet.  (PS.  Cat just bounced and seemed to not
be harmed.  At least neither of them showed any sign of injury.  Never did
know which one did it.)

Alice in Oregon -- where the freezing rain of Sat is now a memory.  It's
now rain, all week.  At least it's warmer outside and no ice to scrape off
my car.