Soon after I started bobbin lace I saw, in Nyplattya Pitsia (double dots on
the 'a's) by Eeva-Liisa Kortelahti, a diagram of "the lace pillow and the
sheet by which bobbins can be moved".  The 10 or so pairs of a beginner
don't require much 'moving' so I just mentally filed it away as a curiosity.

When I started Flanders, the sudden doubling of bobbins (8 per pin!) brought
it to the forefront again.  Over the intervening years I had toyed with the
idea of using a 'Lazy Susan' (rotating plate for serving food) with the
centre cut out, in place of the original cardboard assembly, but the project
never even got as far as the 'one-day-when-I-have-time' stage.

But now I have an obvious need, although never having actually seen such a
pillow this need is perhaps a might theoretical <g>. Nevertheless, I have
acquired a metal rotating anulus - called a 'round swivel assembly' here -
its 300 kg loading, intended for rotating of televisions, will surely
suffice <g>; and I have bought some ethafoam off-cuts and an old felted
blanket for the roller, so am at the final planning stage. 'Not another
pillow!' was DH's initial response but he offered to help.  And he
immediately pointed out something I hadn't thought of.  My experience with
roller pillows is limited to a small travelling pillow, seldom used because
of the limited number of bobbins that can be fitted on the apron, where the
yardage is stored at the back of the pillow.  Not a good idea if the back of
the pillow is rotating!
Eeva-Liisa offers a solution (p7 in my second hand copy of the book
originally published in 1981): off-set the roller in the front of a square
box, not a rectangular one, so the lace can still fall down behind the
roller.

And feasibly the roller could be removed and the square filled with block
insets thus making the pillow more versatile, however....
What would happen with, say, a handkerchief edging as it became larger than
the central blocks.  I used a one-piece pricking when I made a fan last year
on a purpose-made block pillow - the system of inter changing the two blocks
worked well but the unpinned lace, resting loosely on its cardboard
pricking, hung over the edge of the edge of the pillow as work progressed.
Not a problem with that (except when packing it to move between home and
lace day <g>) but I can envisage problems with the lace hanging over a
rotating 'bobbin collar'.  The illustration on p8 of Eeva-Liisa's book shows
circular wedges in place but not what happens when block #1 is re-used! The
pricking could perhaps sit on the bobbin collar, to be lifted up while the
collar was rotated, but the sharp edges of the 'holes' in the pricking might
catch in the threads...

If anyone has used such a pillow, I'd appreciate it if they could recount
their experiences as the 'problem' may be only my inexperience.

Jay, Sydney, Australia