>Christina in VA asked - has anyone flown with their lace pillow? If so,
what is the largest size pillow you were able to carry on?

I've flown both domestically and internationally with lace pillows, and have
given up trying to carry pillows onto the plane due to the size problem.
When I take a class, I want a lace pillow that is large enough to do justice
to the course and the teacher's time and skill.  I also want to take a
pillow that is versatile, and I want to have the ability to switch projects
quickly, and to bring a project in process home.  So I have a block pillow
that I bring, and I bring along extra blocks with appropriate materials to
bundle an in-process project along with the block upon which it sits.  The
block pillow has a rigid bottom, so it is quite strong.

I have a good pillow carrier that is fairly tough and is made of waterproof
fabric.  I pad the top of the pillow with a bit of clothing (sweaters are
best, but other things work).  Then when I check the pillow in with the
airline, I ask for it to be handled as a fragile item, so it is handled by
hand.  They stick very large "Fragile" stickers on it, and, after a number
of trips, my pillow is still in great shape.  The carrier shows a little
wear, but nothing too dramatic.

Bear in mind that the choices of pillow and cover are crucial to this
working well.  I would never do this with a pillow that is my most special,
or a lightweight foam that might crush or snap into pieces.  The cover needs
to be waterproof (mine doesn't have a waterproof zipper, but is made of
waterproof material).

I know of others who are found or made a sturdy cardboard box of appropriate
size and used that for the carrier.  The key to this is that the box needs
packing material to fill up the empty space, otherwise the package may get
crushed a bit.

Best of luck!

Clare

Milford, CT