Christina,

I put mine inside a sturdy plastic wreath box and use duct tape to
cover the latches and around the seam between the two halves of the
box.  Then I check it as luggage.  I bring extra duct tape along in
case security decides to open it (they haven't to date) and for the
return trip.  When I return home I use adhesive remover (Goo Gone) to
clean up the wreath box.

Lisa Thompson in Dallas