It's not all bad news at the V&A. The main costume gallery (Room 40) is due to reopen in February with a new permanent display as well as a temporary exhibition 'Style and Splendour: Queen Maud of Norway's wardrobe 1896-1938' (Queen Maud was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria). I don't know how much lace there will be - I'll report back when I have seen the exhibition.

I don't know what is happening in the Textile Study galleries - that's where the pull-out frames of lace are. Its very sad if they have had to be closed as a security measure. The actual thefts were of small (valuable) items of porcelain and sculpture. But the thieves were able to come back and help themselves three times! So obviously drastic measures have had to be taken.

Meanwhile there is some stunning lace on display, mostly on costume, in the new British Galleries.

I agree with Jean that it is sensible to phone for information before travelling from a distance - the website is not always up to date.
www.vam.ac.uk

Bridget, in Watford, England