On Jan 27, 2005, at 3:46, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jacquie) wrote:

This is precisely what "Cook and Stott" did in their Bucks Point pattern
books, [...]

And others as well (Stott's "The Bobbin Lace Manual", for example, which is a beginner's book).

There was a lot of grouching at the time [...]
Anyway, the diagrams are easy to work from and the twists are easy to follow.

Indeed, they were... *Once* it finally penetrated through my thick skull that, although the colour is red and the term is "whole stitch", it's not the same red and the same "whole stitch" as in the Belgian Colour Code. Until then, when I saw a red line with a cross-hatch, I interpreted it as CTCT+T, and then wondered why my lace didn't look as the lace in the picture... :)

For people who were unfamiliar with the BCC, the introduction of colour for different stitches in the Cook and Stott books must have been like manna from heaven. But, for those who'd had a taste of BCC (and a struggle learning which colour meant what <g>), it was just confusing, at least at first. Hence the grouching.

I suppose, early on, when those books were first written, nobody much expected them to escape the confines of UK. Or for the UK lacemakers to start going abroad for workshops. The *idea* of streamlining the diagrams and representing 3 stitches with just 2 colours is excellent (IMO, anyway). The colour choices, OTOH, didn't allow for globalization catching up with lacemakers... :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/