Two of my students have just finished their first square of Flanders lace
(after some samples), with the overlap join.  They both did the join in class,
and each of them took about an hour to do it, which is quicker than doing all
the sewings and then running in the ends.  Yes you do have to make extra lace -
but if you make mistakes at the beginning you cankeep working until it's right
and then do the edge and overlap from there.  Neither of them had cut it!

There are instructions in Bridget's bible, and the Lohr book already
mentioned and in her tricks and tips book.

Take time to line up the join exactly, and to tack firmly either side of it.
Choose the longest row of ground possible.
Use a much finer thread, this may need to be cotton even if the lace is
linen.  Make sure the colour matches.
Use a fine but blunt needle so you go through spaces not threads.
Pull the stitches that wrap around each stitch as tight as you can, but the
one that travels to the next stitch only to exactly the right tension for the
space, so you don't pucker the lace.

And that's it really.  The thought of it is worse than the doing.  Now, I
wonder if they've cut it yet <VBG>

Jacquie