At 09:39 AM 2/9/2005, you wrote:
My wife and I were shopping at thrift stores and we found this very peculiar
lace fabric that we plan on using for a costume.  On closer inspection I
noticed it was bobbinlace(either hand done or by machine, but obvious
threads with cloth stitch trails and twisted picots) and swiggling in a
cornelly type of fashion being joined by the picots.  A simple tape lace,
but the trails are very sporatic with no rhyme or reason.  Could be free
style lace?

This looks very much like the Idrijan lace I first met up with. It is a narrow trail that meanders to fill the space, and has the proper connection loops for Idrijan. If you look carefully at this piece, there is a pattern that has been drawn that is about square, then reverses so the next part is symmetrical to the first. One double block starts at the top of this piece and goes to 2/3 of the way down the panel. At that point you can see the end and the beginning next to each other. There is a spot halfway between where the pattern reverses, and again appears symmetrical but this one is a bit harder to spot. The panel is made of three of these pattern blocks -- forward, reverse, then forward again.

The edging was probably added later, when this whatever was assembled. It is not common to the Idrijan I've worked on, but then -- I'm not an expert.

You made a great find!
Alice in Oregon -- where morning fog has turned to sun, but it's still chilly.