Hi

OK so I'm a few weeks behind!  I have been catching up with lots of things
today.

When I started learning lace I went to night school classes but then the local
authority decided there weren't enough people in the class so we just met in a
room in the school for a year or so.  I was a school governor and the
headteacher said he did not mind, because the school was open anyway for the
nightschool classes and we paid the teacher.  We moved out of the school into
the local scout hut but gave that up when there were too many holes in the
floor!  A bit drafty round the knees!  Our group became a self help group with
our teacher as a member (no longer paid).  We now meet in a room in a sheltered
housing complex.  There are only about 10 or 11 members when we are all there.

I have advertised our group in local libraries each year but have had not
interest.  The only new members we get are by word of mouth.

If anyone in the area wishes to make lace there are two day classes a month at
Alston Hall and one of the Preston Lacemakers teaches lace on morning and one
evening a week in a room at the Blind Centre.

I also belong to Preston Lacemakers who meet once a month.  We hold workshops,
hold lace days (November) and have trips to various places.

I am also a member of our Women's Institute craft group and we meet in a
members house every Tuesday afternoon.  There are only two lacemakers in the
group but we make all kinds of things.  Last year we made lots of small quilts
for the Linus Project.  They are now all with children who love to cuddle them.

A small group of lacemakers meet at my home because it is the most central and
we have made all kinds of things.  When everyone went home one day there were
large structures hanging from the ceiling of the conservatory to see what
happened to the lace when it was left for awhile.  DH just rolled his eyes and
thought here we go again!

Regards
Dianne Derbyshire
Preston (England's 50th City)