Traditions can be dispensed with gladly at times (for instance replacing
the once large honiton pillow with today’s smaller version), but it is
wise to check to see why a tradition is a tradition in the first place.

The ideal bobbin to make honiton lace is a honiton bobbin.  You really
need bobbins without spangles.  Really!   And if you can do it, let me
suggest that it would be even better to have bobbins without turned
decorations;  just a smooth, smooth finish!  If you have not yet
purchased your bobbins, I would highly recommend that you buy them all
from the same maker. (These were the instructions I was given when I
started, and I still agree with them today)  Pay close attention to the
head...you want it to be very smooth there especially.  While I waited
for my bobbins to arrive, I started class with unspangled Midland
bobbins.  These really  worked fine for a while, but I did notice it
became easier when I started using my honitons.
Honiton involves many many sewings, so keep with tradition in this case,
and you will make it easier for yourself in the long run.    As you gain
experience and speed in honiton, you will find yourself not even picking
up the bobbins, but kind of tossing them lightly as you work.  They make
a neat tinkling noise as the wood knocks into each other and you will
find it very soothing!

Best wishes as you begin a new lace!
Debbie in Florida