In a message dated 1/31/2005 8:40:08 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

This thread  is so interesting, from the point of view of actually
learning how others  live!

Jean, giving the details of your home makes me realise  how
lucky I am in my great big barn of a place.

This is a very interesting thread, especially to me. My husband and I were
living in London when I started to make lace and my first class was under the
auspices of the Inner London Education Authority. I went a long way by
Underground to a school that had been closed for regular use and  turned over
to the
Inner London Authority for adult education. Our  teacher
was Kate Riley, now retired, this is still a name very well known in
England.  Kate was one of the first teachers to make diagrams to help
lacemakers
understand the order in which to make the stitches.
When Kate  was required to retire because of age, one of the  lacemakers in
the class offered her dining room to the class, and those of us  who wanted to
continue arranged to pay Kate  privately and we  moved to the private house.
A couple of years later, my husband's job was transferred to  Brussels.
There, I discovered a class that met at the Art  Museum.  The teacher there was
Mme
Simone Jacquemin, a   wonderful lacemaker who had learned to make lace in
Bruges and was part of  the first group of Belgian lacemakers who devised the
Belgian method of color  coding..One of her helpers there was Mme Ghyslaine
Maes,
who lived near me  in the southern suburban area of Brussels and became a
dear friend. At the  museum,  Mme Jacquemin taught us Bruges Flower Lace.
(Btw, Mme Jacquemin also organized the Lace course for the first OIDFA
Congress which was held in Bruges in 1984.)
As it turned out, Ghyslaine lived near me in the southern areas of  what is
greater Brussels and she became both a teacher and a dear friend.   In her home
7 or 8 of us learned to make various Belgian  laces. Until her untimely death
last year, Ghyslaine was the President  of OIDFA
So
You can see that I have been very lucky to have gifted teachers  and I've had
all sorts of different places in which to make lace. Different  teacher each
have  their own methods.  They can all work just as  different rooms can work.
 My advice is to make the best of what is  available!

Elaine Merritt, now at
The Lace Museum
552 S. Murphy  Avenue
Sunnyvale CA 94086