I promised that I would ask Pompi Parry about bobbins for hair weaving when
I saw her yesterday.  We all had a fantastic time at a workshop day.  Just
about everyone managed to reach the bottom of a piece of lace intended for a
wall hanging even if the finishing off had to be done later.  We had no
pricking, no working diagram, no design in mind before we started.  We had
fifteen, assorted, textured threads, an eight inch copper ring, some very
large bobbins and glass headed pins.  The only 'rule' was to move the
threads from one side of the ring to the other, by using half stitch,
tallies, twists, and various grounds.  Irregularity was the order of the
day!  We all enjoyed the experience immensely.

As to the bobbins for hair weaving.  Pompi said that there were two kinds -
some made entirely of lead, the others rather like very elongated tear drops
about three inches long and without a neck.  Looks like those on e-bay were
something else.

Liz Pass
In Poole, Dorset, UK