I feel that Brenda Paternoster's book might be just what you need to answer all of these questions. She explains very clearly how the thread counts work and also is the most comprehensive thread comparison list I have ever come across.

I would say that broder machine is the same as the brilliante alsace 50. The venus is pretty close to the fil a dentelles 80 balls which are thicker than a dmc 30, closer in weight to a brok 36/2 if my memory serves. Not having Brenda's book immediately to hand.

Claire
Kent,UK