I went to the website of the Los Angeles County Museum of art and found  that
in addition to the Arts and Crafts movement exhibit with the Halas  Lace,
there is also another exhibit there that might be of interest to  lacemakers.
It
is

_Images of Fashion  from the Court of Louis XIV_
(http://www.lacma.org/info/press/ImagesFashionPR.htm)
March  12–June 26, 2005
Ahmanson Building
The focal point of Images of Fashion is  the recent acquisition of an
exceedingly rare folio of 190 colored engravings  dating from 1678–1693.
These images—
among the first fashion plates in  existence—were authorized by Louis XIV
and
his finance minister, Colbert, to  promote French luxury goods and culture.
They defined our modern concept of  fashion.
Of course we know that one of the  French luxury goods Colbert promoted was
Lace in the form of starting the  Point de France industry.
What was this piece of Halas lace like,  may I ask? I know the technique, but
what made it special?
Devon