Hi Arachnes,
I agree with Vasna about using schools for classes. Either school is in session (most of the year) or it is not (potentially the summer) but at that time, the staff is gone. They do not have food, or many services. Yes, there would be classroom space, but we would need maintenance staff to move the desks out of the way. There are rarely elevators and there are great distances between buildings so the class schedule would have to be modified to allow for time between classes too. (I HATED walking to class at my New Jersey alma mater!)
The school would not do any of the registration, room assignments, individual payments for rooms... my list could go on. Basically, it becomes more of a do-it-yourself project on all counts. A convention committee does a tremendous amount of work as it is - usually with excellent results, I might add.
Lee Daly
in sunny New Jersey