In a message dated 3/16/2005 11:33:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

There's  but a *single* obstacle (as far as I've heard) to organising
IOLI  Conferences on U campuses: the elder membership (the majority of
attendees) is disinclined to *walk* from one building to the next
(bedroom-food-class sequence)... And some object to student fare vis
food on the "been there, done that 40 yrs before, and don't want to do
it again" principle (but you send your precious child into the same
environment, without a second thought, no?). Unstated but understood is
also the problem that some of the elder attendes would not *fit* in
(on?) a single bed...

Having spent some time among the "mobility impaired" while still youthful,  I
would like to offer the observation that the IOLI Convention is a vacation
that, generally speaking, is one that you can do with limited mobility,
especially if the hotel is well supplied with elevators. (Funny how sedentary
hobbies attract people who don't walk too well.) Last year's convention in
Harrisburg demonstrated the importance of a handicapped friendly environment.
Although in some ways the layout was good, only two floors to the hotel. In
other
ways it was bad since there was a set of stairs at the entrance that must  be
traversed with suitcases etc. Worst of all was that many of the activities
took place in a two story lobby with a stair case. The banquet/sales room was
on
the bottom floor below the two story lobby, and was equipped with a
cumbersome wheel chair lift rather than an elevator. One day I was present
when a
group of perhaps fifteen, including hotel employees, friends and  supporters of
wheel chair bound individual and curiosity seekers gathered to  assist in
transporting the person down the stairs to the sales room. Meanwhile a  steady
stream of people using canes, some of them red in the face and breathing
laboriously were working their way up the other side of the steps crying out,
"I'm
OK, I'm OK, really I am."
Undoubtedly all these people would have to stay home if they had to walk to
cafeterias and classrooms in other parts of the campus, or else there would
have  to be cadres of people transporting them in vans, etc.
And sometimes after a day of extremely exhausting and painful transporting
yourself around, you might want to splash out for room service! It is often
said  that being disabled is expensive and in a sense the entire convention is
bearing  the expense of being available to people who are not terribly mobile,
but that  is a lot of our group. (Some of this impairment is invisible in the
form of  heart problems.)
How did they handle handicapped people in Prague? When I visited Germany
which is as far east in Europe as I have dared to go since becoming mobility
impaired, I was amazed at the number of people I saw dragging themselves
around
on two canes, until I realized that they were building brand new  buildings
with no elevators there, so wheel chairs were not very useful.  It was two
canes, or stay home. It really weeded out the weaklings! (I  began to take my
cane
everywhere because, while in the US you can just operate  as a normal person
using elevators and escalators, in Germany when you arrive  with a cane,
sometimes, if you are lucky, word is sent to the back office and in  about ten
minutes someone arrives with a key and unlocks a freight elevator for  you and
conducts you up to the fourth floor. Of course, when it is time to  leave, that
person is nowhere to be found.)
However this points out a basic problem that the accommodations very much
determine who goes to conventions. The needs of younger people and the needs of

older people are somewhat in conflict. Pity the poor organizers of
conventions.
Devon