Clay,

I always travel with my "one and only".  Instead of modifying it I
use a plastic wreath box instead of a convential suitcase.  What I
do is to lay the lid top side down on the table.  The handles can
be arranged so that the pillow fits snuggly between them.  Then
I put the base on top like a cake box and latch the handles.  Usually
those boxes taper to be smaller at the bottom so I use it upside
down.  Then I securely tape around the joining and across the
handles with duct tape.  I pack more duct tape for the return trip
and some Goo Gone or some other adhesive remover to clean up the
stickiness on the box afterwards.  I've travelled with work on the
pillow and as long as you secure the roller or block and the bobbins,
it comes through fine.

Lisa Thompson in the vicinity of Dallas, Texas USA