In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
> has anyone got any thoughts about why just one or two threads out
>of
>40 or 50 on a pillow untwist and run the risk of breaking.

I used to have this problem, particularly using DMC Broder Machine for
Bucks Point. Margaret Allen pointed out the rule of turning the bobbin
at right angles to the pillow every time you lengthen or shorten, and I
found that this helped to cure the problem - but Bucks does still unwind
the DMC threads in the ground movement, so I now use William Hall's
threads for that. Likewise in Honiton you need to watch the threads, but
in that case it is more likely due to the rolling of the bobbins. If DMC
unwind, they fall apart - I think it is partly the direction of twist,
and partly the staple length of the fibres used could be shorter than
that of others?

Probably just a case of every so often, pick up the bobbins individually
and let the thread leash slacken - if it twists up, you need to untwist
it (by turning the bobbin in line with the thread, not at right angles
to it) so that the proper twist on the thread is restored. Turning the
bobbin at right angles ensures the thread is unwound, not untwisted.
--
Jane Partridge