I nearly always use the double head on a midlands bobbin - the exception
would be if I have thick thread too bulky for that bobbin, or a very slippy
synthetic perhaps, but for "normal" thread it is as easy to put the hitch on
the
head as on the neck and is often easier to release thread.  As others have
said,
thread on thread has the risk of catching.

The important thing is that the thread changes direction so if it is wound
clockwise onto the bobbin, the thread passing into the hitch (wherever it is)
should be anti-clockwise.  The hitch sits against this change of direction and
this acts as the brake.

As to the shape of the head - I have one very old bobbin where head looks as
if it has been sat on (by lace fairy?).  The lower bulb shape is not () but
almost <> (with curves not corners, of course) and then the top is like an
umberella or saucer over it, with the edges curving down slightly.  It is just
wonderful to use, and the thread stays in place.  It's this slightly
down-turning
sweep of the top that holds the thread as the hitch snuggles up under it.  Of
the modern bobbin makers, I guess Richard Gravestock's bobbins are still
following this general principle (why doesn't he get mentioned more on arachne,
he
is still one of my favourite bobbin makers), and I have some *very* early
Springett's bone ones with this shape.  The more modern trend seems to be for
the
top of the head to have a straight sided shape \  / which allows the thread to
slide off far more easily.

As to Kenn's point about the grooves.  This is a common "decoration" on
otherwise plain Honiton bobbins.  At the top of the body there are two, three
or
four very fine lines.  They are a pain in the b***.  Maybe Kenn isn't using his
bobbins to do sewings, or if he is perhaps the thread is thicker than the
groove, but the Honiton thread just fits right in there.

Jacquie