From: Leonard Bazar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
You did mention she can't
> see the point of keeping the threads the same length.
> A tidy desk may be the symptom of an empty mind, but a
> neat lace pillow is a pleasure to work on as well as
> to see!

As one who doesn't keep *anything* else tidy, I can suggest another reason for
keeping the threads the same length.  This makes handling the bobbins a whole
lot easier, and will probably also help with the renegades.  If one tether is
longer than the other(s) when manipulating a quartet, it's hard to twist/cross
them without them tangling--unless you hold the longer one such that its tether
is flopping loose (so the bobbin is in the same place as the rest of the
quartet).  This *encourages* the hitch to leap off!  This may be the root of
her problem.  When the teacher tidies up her pillow, the bobbins behave.  Then
when she Penelopes and rewinds to odd lengths, she has trouble again.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
(formerly  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)