In a message dated 4/5/2005 8:15:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Nobody  really knows, but when a poll had been run a few years ago
whether to  change the name, the majority's answer - suprisingly - was
"no"; it's  another illogical tradition that refuses to bite the dust  :)

The leadership of the IOLI had decided that they did not want to change the
name frivolously. So, if I recall this correctly, they structured the poll so
that changing the name would require the positive action of a majority (or
maybe  even a 2/3 majority?) of the membership to send by mail a "vote" voting
for a  name change. With this structure, those who did not send in a vote were
considered to be supporting the "Old Lacers" name. So whether the poll
actually  meant that the majority of the people actually wanted the "Old
Lacers"
name or  the majority of the people had other things on their minds or didn't
care is  open to question.

I often use the name of the group when trying to muscle my way into  museums,
etc. I find I am making progress in establishing my credibility with my
spiel about being the "Lace Study Editor of the only publication in the US
dedicated to lace" right up until I mention the name of the group. At that
point
the administrative assistant or curator begins to grin and sometimes  to giggle
uncontrollably.

Guess how I voted.

Devon