Gentle Spiders,

First, let me say how pleased I am to have read about CRLG Lace Day at BMA.  I
am also pleased that Laura was able to use my registration since a sudden death
of a friend prevented my going to Baltimore.

I have to chime in on the discussion re demonstrating lace.  I made a pact with
my pocketbook many years ago  that when I was asked to demonstrate lacemaking
at a venue where admission was charged, I requested a stipend to cover my
travel expenses.

Case in point - Many years ago the Frontier Museum in Staunton asked me to come
demonstrate for 2 days over the weekend.  I knew that the Museum had gotten a
grant to solicit crafters and demonstrators.  However, they refused to give me
any monetary consideration.  The drive is about 70 miles each way, making the
total for 2 days almost 300 miles.  The admission to this Museum is not cheap
either.  I do know that some demonstrators were paid from that grant.  The
blacksmith and cooper for example.  I was told that "they make a living doing
that so they expect a salary."  What am I, cottage cheese?  No thank you.

However, the Reynolds Homestead (the home of the progentors of Reynolds
Aluminum and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco) at Critz, Patrick Co. Virginia invites me
twice a year to demonstrate in the parlor or on the porch - its my choice.  I
travel 70 miles each way and do this willingly because they do not charge
admission for their Spring Frolic and Open House.  I've been going there for so
many years that now I can tell the history of Hardin and Julia Cox Reynolds to
the visitors.  I and a weaver are invited to meet with the docents who come
from the tobacco Reynolds estate in Winston-Salem, NC to meet the docents at
Critz.  We have lunch, tell about what we do, and generally have a grand time.
I am given a small stipend for this, but would do it willingly without any
compensation except  enjoying the country beauty, quiet, and peace of this farm.

I also demonstrate at the Historic Fincastle Festival in Botetourt County,
about 20 miles away.  I sit on the back porch of my friend's historic home and
make lace for 2 days.  No admission is charged and I ask for nothing but a cup
of tea which I can make myself in Bea's kitchen.

In June, I've been invited to demonstrate at the Wilderness Museum in Pulaski
Co., Virginia.  There will be a quilt show and the coordinator thought that it
would be fun to show how quilt embellishments can be made.  She'll be tatting.
That will be fun.

As many of you know, Friend Husband Clive and I travel quite alot in our motor
home.  We stop in an RV Park about 2 p.m., set-up, put out the awning, and I
begin lacemaking.  It doesn't take long before I have several visitors checking
out "tatting" and my getting lots of compliments.  "I could never do that!"
Wonder if I can turn in those hours....hummmmm

Happy Lacemaking,
Betty Ann in Roanoke, Virginia USA