In a message dated 4/5/2005 9:41:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Like  Jacquie, I 
too read it as "old lacemakers", especially with so many people  saying 
"lacers" (personally, not my favourite term <g>) instead of  
"lacemakers".



The mission statement of the International Old Lacers includes people who  
make lace, study lace and collect lace. What word incorporates all three? I  
don't particularly like the word "lacer" either. At the convention in 
California  
a man asked me in the elevator what convention we were with and when I told 
him  we were "lacers" he seemed to think I was saying "laser" as in Laser 
Surgery.  But, of course, he was extremely puzzled about how we could actually 
be  
lasers rather than use lasers to some purpose. (Laser is an acronym for  light 
amplification by stimulated emission of radiation.)  I imagine this  was not 
a problem fifty years ago. Now I tend to say we are "an organization of  
roughly 1600 Lace Enthusiasts".
Devon

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to