This seems a logical place to pop in with...

The North Carolina Regional Lacers enjoyed our Spring Lace Day today with a
short workshop, and later a wonderful program, presented by Julie van der
Wolf from the Netherlands.  Some of you are looking forward to having her
do a longer workshop soon, and your eager anticipation will be rewarded!!
(all we had was the sneak preview, and it was full of good information -
enough to get some of us off and running!!)   Julie was delightful, and the
lace she teaches (s'Gravenmoer) is lovely. (s'Gravenmoer is pronounced
"s'Rav'n-moor" (soft 'a') which is as close as I can approximate given my
English native tongue AND the limitations of email characters...)

The reason I responded to this particular message was that she mentioned
the lace shops in Bruges (which she pronounced "BRU-gah").  She said that
if you bought a handkerchief with the assurance of being hand-made in
Belgium (a specific seal of authentication), you might expect to pay $500
for it.  WOW!!  NOW we're getting somewhere!!  Still, you have to ask how
much of that went to the lacemaker, and how much to the shopkeeper - and
how much to the person who joined/mounted/embroidered???

Clay

Clay Blackwell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  • RE: [lace] Bruges - was laminating Clay Blackwell