Hi, Andy,
Welcome to Lace.
You ask if you should buy bobbins in pairs. Well I rarely do. I just buy whichever ones catch my eye!
At the beginning, we did not have bobbinmakers around here (in Australia), and I bought about 200 plastic bobbins from England. Then later on , when a couple of husbands took up woodwork to make bobbins, I bought which ones I liked (or could afford). I have a daughter who is also a lacemaker, and she would buy me Springett's bobbins from England for birthdays, and Mothers' Days, but they were single ones, not pairs.
You will find some folks only buy pairs. Others, like me, don't! So it is all a matter of personal choice (and finances). It really does not matter - Just enjoy them and use them, and make lovely lace!
Regards from Liz in Melbourne, Oz