Thank you so much, Debbie, for the history lesson.  I collect antiques and love
to know a little about the development and history of them.  Keep up the good
information.  I am reading it ALL.
Andy in Texas

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Andy wrote: "Here I am again with another question or two.

1. What is the purpose of the spangles? Weight?
Decoration?
2. Should you buy bobbins in pairs? If in pairs,
why?"

These are the kinds of questions that should bring a great number of
Here are my contributions.

As far as the spangles go, no one knows for sure why they started
putting beads on bobbins. The East Midland lacemakers at some point
during the 19th century started putting spangles on bobbins. That is
where it originated, but no one considered it worthwile writing down why
it originated. When I lived in England, the supposition was that it may
have been linked to the use of machine spun threads. The talk was that
there may have been a tighter twist on the thread which frustrated some
poor lacemaker enough that she or he decided something had to be done to
keep the bobbin still...hence the spangle! It's all just talk though,
since they didn't write it down. You will find that information about
the decorations is the same kind of thing. For some reasons, not
recorded, the bobbin makers of the East Midlands area began making
bobbins with decorations. There are other areas of decorated bobbins
(honiton for instance), but when most people think of decorated spangled
bobbins, they are thinking of East Midland lace bobbins.

As far as using bobbins in pairs, it's a matter of preference. You will
find that many things in lacemaking are a matter of preference. I do
not use pairs. When you wind your bobbins, you will learn to wind them
in pairs, but when you start working the lace, you won't do too many
things before you find out that the bobbins do not stay in pairs! So,
it's up to you. I have limited funds and a great admiration for
beautiful bobbins, so I find that I get more for my money by buying
single bobbins.

Keep asking questions...the information available to you from these
ladies is priceless!!

Debbie -in- -F-lo-rida
The signature looks a little different because my parakeet insisted on
adding her own additions to it (the dashes)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Andy Blodgett  Life is short. Eat dessert first.