I am so sorry her item was ruined.
I do not laminate.  I "encapsulate" genelogical papers I use Archival save
mylar (flexible plastic that does not produce gasses which damage fabric &
paper). Look for it in your office supply store.  Frequently it comes like a
sleeve with holes punched in the sides to hold papers.  I cut the hole part off
along with one short side then make a sandwich with the item (lace, paper etc)
in the middle.
1.  Put double stick tape around the edge of the top side of the bottom sheet
2.  Place the lace item in the center.  The Mylar should be just a little
larger than the item plus the width of the double stick tape. This way the item
never gets anything stuck to it, but floats freely in the middle between two
sheets of Archival safe plastic.
3.  Carefully place the second sheet of mylar on top. Beginning at one corner
and working around to seal it.
    The result is something that is preserved, but not damaged and can be
removed later without damaging the item by simply cutting the outside
edge.between the item and the double stick tape.
  Hope this helps anyone wanting to preserve an item.
Andy in Texas

Carol Adkinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Spiders All,

I have followed this with interest, as it is what I do with some - only
some! - of my prickings. But - a cautionary note!

The mother of one of my children had the mat which the child had made
laminated - against my better judgement, I must add! - and was very upset
with the results. Because the mat was not flat like a pricking, the
lamination produced lots of air bubbles - which was what I half suspected,
and warned against - over the mat, and really did spoil it completely. The
child was devastated, as it was quite a big achievement for her, a relative
beginner, to have completed the mat, so the outcome was not a success!

So - if you ever have the desire to laminate the lace itself, do think
carefully. The laminating was done in a local stationery store - maybe it
would depend on who does the laminating, but I suspect it would always be
liable to air bubbles, and therefore disappointment ensues, to some extent.

Carol - in Suffolk UK.

Andy Blodgett  Life is short. Eat dessert first.