This 3D lace flower looks a lot like an adaptation from the 3D rose in roses
in Bobbinlace from Eeva-Liisa Kortelahti. You said the original was with
petals in alternating cloth and half stitch and that is exactly wath this
rose looks like. I made it myself ones, and the method you discribe is more
or less the same. The hardest part by the way is to form the flower after
you stiffend it.
If this is not the pattern you are looking for it can still be used to make
a flower a lot like the one in your picture. (Which looks better than the
one in the Kortelahti book and deffinitly better then my first attempt).

Greeting from Nelleke Glansdorp in Sunny and cool Leiden, The Netherlands.
Where the sun is showing me it is time to wash my windows, but who cares if
you can go outsite to make lace!