the wonder
isn't that the fence is so beautiful (which I don't think it  is), but
merely the fact that it exists at all. To my mind the object  (fence)
and the technique (lace) coexist uneasily and demonstrate their
unsuitability to each other. (I know, I know, there will be plenty of
Arachnes who disagree with me)  --  Aurelia

Dear Aurelia,
You are correct that executed in fiber the fence would barely merit a  second
glance. I guess it goes to the central paradox that when you do a simple
fiber technique in a rigid medium it is hailed as art and genius. When you do
an
incredibly complex and beautiful technique in fiber someone says, "I can buy
that for a dollar a yard at the Rag Shop." Consciousness raising is in  order!

Perhaps we need to take the design world forward in easy steps. After they
go ga-ga over a chain link fence in bobbin technique we say, "now look what
happens when you take the chain link technique and perform it with a lovely
colored silk..."

Devon