. Then someone has to put the bookmark into the sleeve - not an altogether easy task, though I suppose, with practice, one improves.

This was a passing comment in a previous message, but sleeving a bookmark does not have to be a problem. I cut two pieces of cardstock, narrower than the sleeve, and longer. Sandwich the bookmark between the two pieces of cardstock with the top barely peeking out. Slide the paper/lace sandwich into the sleeve. (The cardstock slides very smoothly into the plastic.) Pinch the top of the bookmark where it peeks out of the cardstock to hold it in place at the end of the sleeve, and one at a time, ease out the two cardstocks. A minor readjustment can be done by tapping the sleeve on one edge or the other, or with a knitting needle or very long pin extended into the sleeve to move the lace.

I sometimes I like to have a braided tail on a bookmark hanging outside the sleeve. This can be done by cutting the sleeve to size before mounting the lace in it.

The sleeve can also be reversed so the tail of the bookmark is on the closed end. Cut a V in the center of the end of the sleeve to make a hole for the tail. Then insert the bookmark tail first, and work the tail out the hole. Pulling on the tail, now, will not pull the bookmark out of the sleeve.

If you have a bookmark that is very flimsy, or curls alot, a sleeve is a good way to hold it flat. It is also a good way to present bookmarks to kids or anyone who is reluctant to handle the lace itself.

Happy lacing,
Alice in Oregon -- with a day of sun before the next storm comes.