I think that one of the "clues" about what this item originally was, would
be the orientation of the picture in the Stanhope.  Obviously, if it
started life as a bobbin, the Stanhope end would have been at the bottom...
and therefore the bottom of the picture would be in line with the short end
of the item.  On the other hand, if it were an awl (my vote...) or a letter
opener, it would have been oriented in the opposite direction.  Do we have
a clue what the orientation IS?

Clay

Clay Blackwell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]