[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Hello  Robin and all other lacefriends,
> It's my understanding that copying  pages for use in a class was covered
> under the "fair use" clause of  copyright.  In other words, it would not
> be a violation of  copyright to use patterns from published books.  Of
> course, that  may vary in other countries.
It is not so really clear and because for some  of us  happened that
they found their own designs with another name  some people are
meanwhile a bit critical.
Some years ago a lawyer told  me if the name of the origin person and
the source is written on the sheet  and if you don't asked for more than
the price of the copy (in our country  not so much private copier exist,
we go to the copy-shop) it is allowed.  But some book-writer don't like
this. It is a difficult thing.
And I  know that the DKV try to find an answer for this  problem.
Greetings

Ilske

Apologies for quoting the whole of the email but I wanted to put my  reply in
context.

Last year, during our last foray into copyright law, I contacted the UK
Patent's office about the copyright on lace patterns within the UK.  They  were
very helpful and agreed with me that the fact that you have to photocopy  your
lacebook in order to make the design puts us in a very different position  to
most other book users.

Think about it - If we want to work our way through a book of patterns we
need to photocopy the pattern (probably about 45% of the book which already
takes us over what is normally allowed) - then, we are often encouraged to copy

the diagram of the pattern and enlarge it so that we can work from it - so by
the time we've done it all we could have copied about 75% of the book.

But, and this is the biggy ... we have bought the book and by buying it  have
entered into a contract which allows us to copy the patterns for OUR OWN  use.

Copying pages for class, under UK Law is a violation of the copyright which
allows us to make copies for our OWN use - i.e. that we make the item not that
 we are using them to teach from.

Now US Law is different as a ruling has now been made.  According to  the
Copyright Handbook by Stephen Fishman, with deals with US Copyright  law:

<<Fair use of out of print works

The drafters of the  Copyright Act and the Supreme Court have suggested that
a user may  have more justification for reproducing a work without permission
if   it is out of print and unavailable for purchase through normal channels.

(Harper  & Row v. Nation Enterprises, 471 U.S. 539 (1985).) Thus,  most
courts
give  users more leeway when they quote from or photocopy  out-of-print
works.
But this  does not mean that any amount of material  from out-of-print works
may
be used  without permission.>>

The advice that I was given in the UK for out of print work is very
interesting as I was told that the Copyright law protects against the copying
of  a
work.  The right lasts for the life of the author, and for 70 years after  the
author's death.  In addition, in the UK, the publisher also has a right  in the
layout etc. of the book, which lasts for 25 years.

If a work is out of print, this does not negate the copyright, or the
duration given above.   In the UK there are limited exceptions to  copyright,
for
"fair dealing purposes" such as private research, private  study, criticism,
review and news reporting etc, but these are limited in scope,  and will not
allow the copying of large sections of a book etc.  If the  author has not
indicated to what extent she may or may not allow copies of the  work to be
made, it
may well be that making a single copy for your own use  would not be
considered fair dealing under the law.  Your actions could  then constitute an
infringement of copyright.

This advice corroborates the position that the publishers Ruth Bean took
over the pricking for Miss Channer's mat - which caused this debate to happen
last time.  They were saying that whether or not Miss Channer was dead, or  her
original book out of copyright, by redrafting the pricking they now had
copyright over the pricking as issued - i.e. the layout as mentioned  above.

There is a worry that with some of our favourite designers stopping from
producing patterns that we could be loosing patterns - but there are two issues

here to remember - 1) there are more patterns out there than we could make in
a  lifetime and 2) once you have finished with a pattern and your pricking
then you  can always give it on to another lacemaker to have and keep.

Such sequential ownership of patterns is not an issue as you relinquish
rights to it with passing it on.  However, to give the pricking and not the
original pattern is an infringement of copyright as you have the ability to
make
another pricking from the pattern.

Multiple copies of a pricking from one book is infringement of copyright so
by using a pattern for a lace class and giving it out to all students or even
copying text and doing the same is an violation of copyright.

What it comes down to in the end is that copyright management is a self
management issue - we police ourselves on this and in the end if you feel
comfortable with doing it then it is your conscience that you have to answer to
 as
lets face it unless the author sees you do it how do they know.  But if  I
intend to work through a book with my students I always encourage them to buy
the
book or take it out of the library - this lets me live with my  conscience.

Regards

Liz in London

I'm back _blogging_ (http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee)  my
latest lace  piece - have a look by clicking on the link or going to