On May 24, 2005, at 9:08, Linda Greyling wrote:

My questions is directed to all lace teachers.
When you started teaching
- did you make more lace than before?
- did the quality of your work improve?
- did you try new kinds of lace to accommodate students?
- did you become more creative in your own designs?

What makes you continue teaching?

You're likely to get more answers from people like myself and Delia who are *not* teaching lacemaking... :) I was trained to teach (ie I took all the required courses on child/teen psychology, teaching methods, yadda, yadda, yadda, for my MA) but it was ESL, not lace. And, once in US, seppuku sounded like a more tolerable option that teaching :)

However... When I tried to weasel out from sending a pattern for the Lace Museum's Pattern Book (that never was) by saying that I was not a teacher of lacemaking (patterns were sought from teachers), I was told that the "work" I do on Arachne is an equivalent of teaching. So I feel empowered to answer your questions :)

When you started teaching
- did you make more lace than before?

When I started to publish patterns on a regular basis...
I sure-as-sure made more lace than before; not only do I have to deliver an x number of patterns to a deadline (and never is the first sample satisfactory <g>), but - for my own sanity - I need to make some lace which I do not have to document, eitherr from my own patterns or from someone else's.

- did the quality of your work improve?

You betcha :) But it's a no-brainer question... The more lace you make, the more it improves. Unless you're brain-dead. In which case you're not making lace. QED.

- did you try new kinds of lace to accommodate students?

I didn't... pursuing "whatever grabs my fancy" is the one "vent" I have in my "work to a deadline" schedule. I tend to stick with the laces I know, because that's where I'm likely to be best/most useful. If/when I take a course in (or learn from a book) a new lace, it's for my personal "enlargement"; sometimes the new knowledge migrates into the old areas, but not always. Since I am NOT a teacher, I do not have to accomodate anyone but myself :)

- did you become more creative in your own designs?

That's a "given" (axiom) <g>... The more you learn, the more you trade ideas with others (whether by taking classes or teaching them)... the more new ideas insist on breaking free from your brain.

To change the subject... Slightly, given the recent resurgence of the copyright issue... :)

What's happened to the "Two Pair Inventions" in South Africa? You got a copy from me in Prague (summer '04), for copying/dispensing wthin SA, with the proviso that, *every copy* that was made, would engender an equivalent of $3.85 for the Lace Museum in Sunnyvale, CA.

I know that copies have been made of my copy... But I've not heard *word one* from SA about the distribution of the profit.

Profit doesn't have to be sent directly to the Lace Museum; if y'all send it to me, I'll write them a check for the amount (and spring for the envelope and the stamp <g>). But, if you have/are going to send profits directly to the Museum, I'd appreciate being put in the loop as regards information, seeing I've composed the tedious booklet :)

I cannot claim foreign country reprints (UK and SA) of the booklet as a tax break unless *I* write the check to the relevant charity. And, given the current "rob-the-poor to sponsor the rich" climate in US, I'm disinclined to even try (I'd rather make lace than hassle). So, you send it wherever it's the most convenient *for you*...

But I'm loath to lose all the possible income the Lace Museum should be getting from "my boooklet and y'all's reprints"... So, I'm asking in the open: where's the beef?

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/