In my job, I work with quite a few young women who have become quite
proficient at working wonderful designs into their hair with braiding and
twisting.  The young artists are mostly African American, and have learned
their art from generations of expert hair braiders and stylists.  But the
beneficiaries of their craft are not just African American, but any of the
many girls who live where I work.  One of the most attractive styles I have
seen is something akin to Mechlin ground, with braids interwoven on the cap
of the head which then go back to the nape of the neck in the back, where
they all join to make an elegant bun of braids.  In order to carry off some
of these elaborate styles, they use hanks of purchased hair.  Some of them
buy human hair, but most use inexpensive synthetics which also come in a
variety of interesting colors - all of which adds to the finished effect.
As you can imagine, most of the hair creations are done by one young woman
for another, but I have one client who manages to braid her own hair into
attractove styles - and even does hair weaving (adding purchased hair into
your own) for herself.

Since I had a hard time doing the "schoolgirl" two braids on my own
daughter's head when she was young, I am more than impressed with the skill
required for these hairstyles!

Clay

Clay Blackwell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]