On May 28, 2005, at 11:06, Antje González wrote:

Very interesting your story. This reminds me of a girl in my daughters
class, exactly 13 years ago. She was a portuguese gipsy. And so, her mother
used to take her to school with a very long thick and black braid (much
longer than her waist!). It was a four strand braid, adorned with flowers. Really astonishing. I asked this mother to teach me how to make it, because I only knew how to make the classical 3 strand braid. And she did show me.
Starting to learn how to make braids in bobbin lace reminded me of this
braid. But... it was not made the same way we make a braid: the twist of the two pairs (of hair strands) was made from the outside to the inside; then a
cross of the two inner pairs.

That *is* interesting... If you "twist" both pairs from outside in (ie, you twist the rh pr, but cross the lh pr), then your center cross is likely to be "off"; it'll go - l to r - over two threads instead of one over, one under... I've tried to reproduce this on my practice pillow (which I use while writing to Arachne), but the thread is too fine (and the motions too new - I keep making mistakes <g>) to see what the result looks like.

And, of course, I have no idea *how* my little school-friend moved the 4 strands... When she did it on other heads, I paid no attention (I had been told, repeatedly, to stay away from all manual labour; I was expected to stick to mental exercises <g>); when she did it on my own head, I couldn't see what the results were (I didn't develop "eyes in the back of my head" until I started teaching <g>)...

I know my friend was not a Gypsy; there was not a single Gypsy in our school, though there seemed to be many in the streets and parks...

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/