Hello Lynn

The only way to learn how to make good leaves/petals is to get stuck in and make them, lots of them. They will improve with practice.

Yes, you do use four threads for each petal, three are passives and the 4th is a weaver. As Tamara has already said *iron control* over the tension is the crucial part. Do *not* tension the weaver without also tensioning the outer two passives.

Everyone's hands are different and there are various ways of holding the three passives; between the knuckles palm up. between the knuckles palm down or flat on the pillow. Or the CCT method Tamara described. My preferred way is flat on the pillow.

I'm right handed so the weaver which needs a long leash is held in my right hand and the three passives have fairly short leashes so that I can spread ands tension them with the left hand. I start with a cloth stitch, (CTC) then twist the right hand pair and the outside right bobbin becomes the weaver. With loose tension, and without letting go of the weaver (no changing hands!) I move the weaver:

over, under, over, to the left
under, over, under, to the right
hold the passives down firmly and then tension the weaver.
For the 'under' movements keep the weaver in the right hand and lift the appropriate passive. Repeat for as many times as is necessary, tensioning each time the weaver comes to the right hand side

At the end of the leaf twist the left hand pair (the right hand pair is effectively already twisted and finish with a cloth stitch (CTC) or cloth & twist (CTCT) as required.

It's the combination of tensions on the weaver and on the passives that creates the petal/leaf shape and it takes *practice*. I wasn't aware of how I tension until DH asked once what I was flicking the bobbins for. Turns out that each time I tension the weaver I give it a double jerk!

That's my way of doing it, but in the end whichever way of handling the bobbins works for you is the will be the right way for you.

Brenda